Thursday, September 12, 2013

An interesting thing today

So I headed home after a long but pleasant day at work and I happened to decide that I wanted to buy snack food tonight (shame on me I know....)

anyway, so I'm leaving the gas station and there is this lady sitting by the door and she's not asking for money, she's not looking at anyone, doesn't seem to expect anything. Actually she looks like she's waiting for something, maybe a bus? but there's no bus on that corner. After a brief assesment of my feelings, I decided to ask her if she needed anything. call it a whim, but I couldn't leave her there in good conscience. I'd regret it.

(I tend to do things on impulse I probably don't think things through as much as I should, but I'm writing this blog so obviously I'm alive.)

she was about 65 yrs old, at least that's what she said. She just needed a ride down the block, so I took her. She offered me gas money but I waived it away, kindness is free. .

   She chatted away nervously the whole way, but I guess in her place I'd be nervous too. Alot. I'd be picturing all sorts of kidnap and daring escape and thinking why the heck did I accept a ride from a stranger.

Anyway, I don't feel particularly special for doing it, but I am glad that I was there to do it. Ppl are so full of paranoia about helping each other that we often overlooked people that really could use help.

I'm always being told that people are faking being in need, moochers, etc... Meh.  There probably are people like that, but I think that if we spend our lives thinking that way then we'll never really get to change anyone's life because we're too busy being cynical. I think that helping one another is part of what keeps us human, so maybe she'll pass on the courtesy and the world will be a better place because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment