Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Because They are Worth Remembering. 9/11

I woke up this morning, and I went about like another day. I took my brother to school, put gas in my car, ate breakfast...Then I went upstairs and Boaz, a friend of mine from work, had put up an image of an american flag.



and it hit me, fresh. Like new. I remembered. And I was ashamed of myself, because I'd started this day like any day without thought to that day. To what this day means now. So I'm going to remember with this blog everything about that day. Please feel free to post what you remember.


I remember watching the news after the first tower had been hit. I decided that it was worth it this morning, to go back and watch everything. I watched the clip of the first tower being hit


and then I watched the news coverage for the second tower. You see, that morning, I was woken by my mom and my nana who were already watching the news. I was young. I was 13. But they were frantic and I could see that they were afraid. So I was afraid. and as we're watching the coverage of the first tower, we saw when the second plane hit and I remember feeling shocked because this was real. Real people had just died.

 
 
 
Everyone was afraid of planes from then on for a long time. My parents both worked in the travel industry, and shortly thereafter, they both lost their jobs because people were afraid of planes, so were we though, so we can't blame them. Things got hard for us for a good while, but we could bear it. We hadn't paid the ultimate sacrifice. We didn't lose a family member or a loved one. If need be we could sell the house and our stuff and live in a small apartment, so I knew we were ok. But other kids lost their parents, and other parents lost their kids in that. It wasn't worth complaining that we were having a financial issue. Not to me anyway, but I was young and trusted my parents would know how to handle anything anyway.

I remember parents didn't let their kids go to school. I tried to talk them into letting us go, and I remember the day they did let us. We went and everything was somber. Everyone stayed inside. After a few hours, my dad came to the school and took me, my sister, and my little brother home. They just couldn't be away from us. I thought it was a little silly at the time, we were no where near NY. But now that I'm 25, I understand. I don't have kids, but I get it that they were afraid. Hadn't we just learned that Anything can happen? So, we just stayed home and watched video of what was happening and listened to anything said about it. The president speaking, the interviews of emergency personnel, clips of poeple that had take footage with their phones, and clips of those that had lost families. My heart still bleeds for them. I'm ashamed. Ashamed that I forgot for even a little bit. These people, they're worth remembering. The firefighters, the police, the medical personnel, the bystanders, the workers, the children. We're Americans. Despite any differences we may have, that's the Bottom Line.


To finish, I just want to share this video clip. Jon Stewart coming back on the air after 9/11. My love to everyone that suffered that day and is still suffering now.


No comments:

Post a Comment